Skip to main content

Mother.....

Well I am a reporter in a news channel. We are often sent on specific assignments to cover certain events which sometimes turn out to be enlightening sometimes dissapointing and sometimes leave a deep impact on us.


Well the only assignment which had my name against it today was 'Foundation stone unveiling ceremony' of the 'Vivanta', our very own Taj at Khanapara, Guwahati, by our CM, alongwith Ratan Tata and a host of other dignitaries.


After having covered the event, I came back to office and sat in front of a machine with the sole intention of playing 'Farmville' on facebook. But that was not to be as I had hardly logged in that Parag Da, our Political Editor asked me to take a camera and rush to the Assam Enginering College where Ratan Tata was scheduled to attend another function.


I admire Parag Da for his efficiency, wealth of knowledge and managing skills. He asked me to reach the Jalukbari Campus within 20 minutes...Ahem...20 minutes! He expected our driver Narayan Da to perform a miracle, rush hour traffic, snarls since morning owing to 'Tata's' visit and Christian Basti to Jalukbari in 20 minutes, bah!


Narayan Da tried his best, but a commotion on the way stopped us. Dhanmoni Da, my cameraperson took his camera and rushed to a building with flames leaping out and just at that moment we heard sirens blaring. I stepped out of the car and looked up at the building, a child, hardly 5 came running out, clutching a little rag doll in her tiny hands, crying, screaming out for her mother, looking around in the crowd to find a familiar face. I ran to her and touched her hand...looked at her reassuringly. She stared at me for a moment, sized me and decided to stop crying. I asked a policeman if it is serious, if there were any casualities..he replied that thankfully no life has been lost but the building has been damaged. The child pulled at my stole and started howling again. I bent down and wiped her cheeks and told her to stop crying as we had to go look for her folks, she nooded bravely and held my hand and luckily her mother spotted us and came running and took her dear daughter in her arms. She thanked me profusely and went to the where the rest of her family were standing looking at their home burning down.


I went and talked to an officer about the incident and called my cameraperson away as we had to reach Jalukbari and were already running much behind schedule. I rang up my office and gave the details and sat in the car. Just as the car started moving, I turned back to take a last look at the fire brigade spraying water and the crowd, that little girl caught my attention. Tucked safely in her mother's lap, she was smiling and hugging her rag doll. Was that maternal instinct?

Comments

  1. Few years back I wrote in a page-one story in the Dainik Janasadharan that a human is needed behind the camera. Being a fellow of the fourth estate, I want to praise you of your humanity over profession. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Guwahati's own 'Sonagachi'? Are we prepared?

Found this in my files today...something i had written sometime back...in a hurry... I will not defend them and say that they are victims. Despite the fact that most of them are here facing compulsion...they were lured by the money, the money which they need to provide a decent home to their impoverished families. They are now the living proof to the ever booming business of commercial sex in the gateway to the Northeast. Its not like we never knew about what goes on in some pockets of the city. Places like Pandu, Kalapahar, Paltanbazar, Rajgarh, Ganeshguri, Nabin Nagar or Beltola come alive every night. Its not like we never noticed the salwar kameez clad lady at the bus stop near the Judges Field, in the evenings. It has been just about a decade since she picked that vantage point! But we choose to feign ignorance. We want to believe that our brothers, uncles, boyfriend, husband or father would never notice them! Why do they stand at those particular spots then, night after nig

Complications 'acche hotey hain'!

Life hurls these weird complications at you sometimes, when feel trapped, between the devil and the deep blue sea. Thats when you need to take a leap of faith! And thats when you realise if those whom you have depended upon, catch you or just watch you drop into the abyss. And that is why sometimes, complications 'acche hotey hain'  That is one helluva silver lining, I tell you!

Throwback | July 2014 | Opinion on Women Reservation Bill

Even the presence of three women in the three top posts of the Parliament-Speaker Meira Kumar, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj could not help in the passage of the Women Reservation Bill on the 21st of February last. Feminists believe it to be an unfair deal. They had been fighting for it since 1996! The 18 year old journey had seen high drama, frayed tempers, war of words as it hit many roadblocks. They believed it would be the epitome of Women Empowerment. If we look back, we shall see that this bill was initially rejected by women representatives in the Constituent Assembly. They felt it was unnecessary since the working of democracy in its normal course would surely ensure the representation of all sections of the Indian Society. I am against reservation per se and I have my reasons. Reservation can never be the best way to achieve the goal of empowerment. It just ends up being divisive, deepening the chasm between the different